LFSC Update #2 – Here comes the sun?
We are off to a great start at the pool, though you probably did not anticipate all of the polar bear swims we have been doing!
Thank you to everyone who came out for the Memorial Day picnic and thank you to Lina McAuliffe, Kristin McNavage, Linda Norman, our staff and everyone who pitched in to plan such a fun day. Special thanks to our intrepid grillers: Chris O’Brien, John McAuliffe and Crissy and Bennett Upston.
We have a lot more fun in store! Please save the following dates for Summer Socials at the pool:
Monday, June 15th: Popsicles to celebrate the end of school. Free popsicles for all school-aged kids. (All-day)
Saturday, June 20th: The Adult Mexican Fiesta (7:00 pm) Tickets will go on sale next week.
Saturday, July 4th: Our family BBQ in honor of Independence Day. (Noon)
Saturday, July 11th: Adult Party: Our annual Crab Feast (7:00 pm)
Sunday August 30th: A family BBQ to celebrate Back to School!
Monday, September 7th: Labor Day family BBQ (noon)
Reminder about Parking
Pool members (and their guests and their au pairs and their babysitters) are not permitted to park on Glen Cove Parkway, Allan Terrace, Baltimore Avenue, and Little Falls Drive in order to use the Club’s facilities. This parking restriction is in effect at all times when the facility is in use, including during swim and dive meets, playing tennis or attending Club social events. This is not a made-up rule with which you comply only when it is convenient for you to drive around and park in the pool lot. If you are coming from the Massachusetts Avenue side of the neighborhood, you can park in the school parking lot after school hours. Thank you for making sure that we the pool community are being good neighbors.
Time trials are tomorrow morning, Saturday, June 6th. Make-up time trial will be Wednesday, June 10th. If have not signed up for the swim team, please do so right away. Everything you need to know about the swim team, including registration information, event schedule, and, most importantly, what to wear to the pep rallies, can be found at: www.littlefallspenguins.com. You can also get to this site through our regular pool home page.
This note is already pretty long (there are a lot of reminders at the beginning of the season, aren’t there?!) so I am sending the pool renovation update as a separate note. Thank you for everyone who came by our informal briefing on Memorial Day. Please note that we will be holding “office hours” at the pool this Sunday, June 7th at 6:30 (weather permitting) to answer questions and show some preliminary sketches we have of a potential design. Please come by if you are interested.
A few people have asked what the code is to get into the tennis courts. If you log into your membersplash account and click on “tennis” under the activities menu, you will see the code.
We are going to be placing a recycling container for plastic tennis ball containers near the courts. Please use this receptacle for tennis ball containers only.
Watch the listserve for notices about water aerobics classes organized by our members:
- As early bird swimming approaches on June 15, Julia Konner is hosting an early morning water aerobics class as she did last summer. The class will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 7-8am in the well at Little Falls. It is $5 per class and they usually use the water dumbbells. If you do not have any, there are extras at the pool. If interested, please email her at: email@example.com.
- The water aerobics group, “The Aerobicans,” will continue to meet this summer as in the past. They meet at 11 A.M. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The class is open to all and is free. New members are always welcome. Questions? Please email June Miller at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Water Aerobics led by Maggie Zimmerman will also be back at Little Falls Pool this summer. Maggie leads a 45-minute session combining deep and shallow water aerobic exercises that provide both a cardio workout and strength training. Maggie has both fitness and aqua certifications (ACE and AEA) and has been teaching this class at Little Falls for over 5 years. Classes meet Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:00pm to 1:45pm from May 27 – September 4 (please note that there will be no classes July 1-17). The price is $232 for the entire summer (33 classes total, meaning you only pay $7 per class — even if you miss a few classes this remains a great price for quality exercise) OR you may pay a drop-in fee of $12 per class. New class participants welcome. Questions: email Maggie at: email@example.com.
- Remember to check the website frequently for updates at: https://littlefallsswimmingclub.com. The website has information about all things pool and tennis, including: pool hours, events and also the link to register for the swim and dive teams.
- Look for weekly updates through your membersplash account.
- Also, we encourage you to sign up for the pool listserve: firstname.lastname@example.org. (That is how you received this note). If you do not have a yahoo ID, you can create a free account. You will then need your share number in order to be verified as a member of the pool. Please remember that our pool listserve is just like any other listserve. Any member can post to the pool listserve with pool and tennis related business or inquiries. If you only want to receive “official” news from a board member, refer to the website and/or make sure that your membersplash account email is one you check often. If you like more frequent reminders, however, or more up to the minute info, I encourage you to stay on the listserve. It is much easier for me to post last minute reminders and late-breaking news to the listserve from my phone than to send out a membersplash reminder.
- For your friends who do not have access to a computer, please let them know that we also have posted hard copies of announcements on the pool bulletin board.
Cathy Stocker, LFSC Board