Dear Little Falls Swimming Club Community,
To paraphrase Charles Dickens, “It was the best of seasons, it was the worst of seasons.” While we mourned the loss of a full season, an array of vibrant in-person social gatherings, and a competitive swim and dive season, we were so very fortunate to be able to have use of our pool safely amidst a global pandemic.
But all good things must come to an end, so I am writing to share that the pool has closed for the 2020 season. Regrettably, we do not have access to Mohican this year for an extended season.
I want to thank each and every one of you for helping us to enjoy a safe, joy-filled, and community enhancing pool season. This was an exceedingly difficult summer and required countless hours of unexpected work and engagement on the part of our fearless Board (listed below). This hardworking, dedicated group of community servants has gone above and beyond the call of duty this season. It’s been my distinct honor to work with them. If you see them around, please thank them.
Tremendous thanks are also in order to Linda Karson, our dedicated and hard-working pool administrator, along with Bethesda Aquatics’ Chuck Montrie, Teri Tomlin, our pool operators, and our lifeguards – all of whom had to quickly adopt new and often changing protocols.
There is so much to lift up and celebrate about this most unusual season, but I’d like to highlight a few particularly bright spots:
- A season without a single water safety or COVID transmission incident.
- A reservation system that we had to start up on short notice that worked remarkably well to ensure safe and equitable access to the pool.
- A full array of swim and dive programs for kids of all ages and levels, along with the usual water aerobics class for adults. Speaking of which, I’d like to invite you to one last opportunity to contribute to the team’s fundraiser for Team Hydro.
- Socially distanced gatherings via movie nights for kids and food trucks for all.
- Great use of our tennis courts, including those that now accommodate pickleball.
- And last but not least, a community who treated each other with respect and grace throughout these trying times.
Thanks to all – we’ll remain in touch and hope to see you all poolside on May 22, 2021. Until then, please sure to keep your contact information up-to-date (especially emails) during the off-season so you will receive the 2021 dues registration information.
Nancy La Vigne, LFSC Board President
2020 Board Members
Nancy La Vigne